Am I liable for a high electric bill if my unit has been improperly wired?

I have had many electical issue with the apartment I have lived in for the past 11 months. I am now moving. She had the boxes rewired and new smart meters put in. There were 2 meters and now there are 3. I believe she had the the property crosswired. My electric bill has been very high. Is there any way to prove this and recoup the money I have paid for her other tenants electricity?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you can show that you were being charged for electricity used by other units or residents without your consent, you could potentially recover some of your bills. However, given that the only way to show this would be by hiring a licensed electrician to inspect the wiring, then paying for  his/her time to testify in a court case, you would almost certainly spend far more pursuing this case than you could recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.