What to do if it’s 90 degrees and my A/C is broken?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if it’s 90 degrees and my A/C is broken?

Our apartment manager is refusing to fix our A/C because it’s the holiday weekend. However, it is 90 degrees in my house and I have a 1 year old son who is now running a fever and is sweating constantly. They are saying that it’s going to be at least 2 or 3 days. Is that legal? Are we seriously just supposed to suffer through this for that long?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country one's landlord is required to make best efforts to quickly make repairs of defective items with a rental pertaining to habitability issues. If the landlord could not get a repair person in to your rental in a timely manner, then the 2 to 3 day delay would not be impermissible under the laws of all states in this country. I do suggest that in the end the landlord makes concessions to you in future rent due to the inconvenience you are having.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption