How to get get a quit claim deed changed?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get get a quit claim deed changed?

My aunt quit qlaim deeded her house to me and my brother. My brother has passed and so has his wife. Does anyone else have a legal interest in my aunt’s property? Can this quit claim deed be changed?

Asked on September 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Dakota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your losses.  How was the deed worded?  Was it wordd as joint tenants ot tenants in common?  Or does it also state the words "rights of survivorship?"  If the words rights of survivorship were on the deed then it passed to you automatically upon his death.  But if those words were not there then his half of the proeprty passes through his estate and to his legal heirs at the time of his death. Did he have a Will?  Did he have children?  I would speak with an attorney in your area.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption