If I’ve had a report filed aganst me for something that people are claiming happened 9 years ago, can charges be filed after all these years?

Asked on November 9, 2014 under Criminal Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Charges can be filed against you and you can be subject to criminal prosecution if the statute of limitations has not expired.

If the statute of limitations has expired, you can assert this as a defense to the criminal charges filed against you.

If the statute of limitations has expired, the prosecutor won't pursue the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.