What to do if I’ve filed for divorcebut my husband didn’t respond to it?

I didn’t put any claims in my petition except that community property rights be determined. Can I get 50% of my husband’s savings from his salary after our marriage in default judgement? Also, my jewellery is with him. Can I get that too with a default judgement.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Family Law, California


Bernie Kempen / Kempen&Company

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.