Is a signed and notarized private custody agreement binding?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a signed and notarized private custody agreement binding?

My son’s father and I drew up a custody agreement on paper, signed and had it notorized. He is now not allowing me to see my son on his birthday because it falls on his week. Is there anything I can do to be able to see him? And how binding is a non-court ordered custody agreement?

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as there is no court order approving the notarized private custody agreement it essentially is a preliminary agreement subject to modification as circumstances change and subject to modifcations per a court order. Custody and visitation orders are always temporary subject to future modifaction as circumstances with work and children's schedules change.

For the father to not allow you to see your so on the son's birthday is heartless. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to review the agreement you have written about and see what your legal recourse is as to the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption