What to do if I have an employer that terminated my services after 6 months work?

I had a verbal working contract for 12 months with this family. They have paid me 7 months pay. They have agreed to pay me without services for the last 5 months of contract. I have tried to contact them and they do not respond to my request to be paid. Do I have any legal rights to collect from them? What can I do to acquire my ending salary amount?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you did not have a contract with them (written), the services were more than $500.00 and you were either a W-2 employee or an independent contractor, you really have no right to any additional monies. Employment in California is generally at will. You can certainly attempt to sue for the monies owed for those 5 months, but you will be truly limited in proving the money is owed to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.