What to do if I have a subpoena to testify in a criminal case against my neighbor. but I fear retaliation?

It is a murder case and I’m a single parent with 2 young children.

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to get in to talk to the prosecutor and their investigator that is handling the case.  How much they can do (or are willing to do) will vary by jurisdiction.... but when a victim is fearful for their safety, they can take some steps with law enforcement to insure your safety.  If there have been direct threats (not just an uneasy feeling), they may also be able to file additional charges or obtain restraining orders to limit his contact.   Even though the feds have some types of witness protection programs, most smaller jurisdictions do not-- so the best bet is to work with your local law enforcement and develop a plan for your safety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.