I filed for Divorse and might be in jail for DV when it starts. Will she be able to take all property or will she have to store it.

My Wife and Step Daughter have been abusing me and my 3 kids for months trying to get a DV on me and now she has. So i bailed out and filed for Divorce I might be in jail for the DV when the divorce comes through. What happens to the property at the house as everything was bought by my mothers Inheratence and I don’t want to loose it all. She has kicked out me and 3 kids on house I put 300.000 on and is trying to destoy my life in which is happening.

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Family Law, California


Edwin Fahlen / Law Office of Edwin Fahlen

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your property can be protected by yourself obtaining appropriate immediate orders.  You are entitled to litigate your separate property (inheritance into house) and other personal property at the time of trial.  This is unfortunately a very common practise of someone taking advantage of another in a divorce case, if her allegations are false.  You need to attack this issue as hard as you can immediately, or it will haunt you throughout the case.  If you are seeking to hire legal counsel page me now or any time 24/7 at 714.967.1300.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.