What can I do if I fell in a puddle of water in a grocery store about a month ago and severely injured my tailbone?

I went to ER, had X-rays and saw spine trauma doctor (who confirmed the injury as acute; my spine was fractured and dispalced). I spoke to the store accident investigator this morning and she says that the store is denying my claim, finding no fault on the store. I do not have legal representation at the time and wondering what I should do. Do I still have rights to have, at minimum, my medical bills paid for? Do I still have a case even though their initial findings is no fault of theirs?

Asked on September 23, 2014 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Please do not be intimidated by the store. They are going to take that position. Now, did you file an incident report with the store when the fall happened?  I hope that you did.  But even if you did not it may still be okay.  Were there witnesses to the condition (the water) and how long that it was there?  And to your fall?  You really do need to speak with a lawyer asap.  The consultation should be free.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.