I was prescribed psych medicine at 5 years old, can I push legal action?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was prescribed psych medicine at 5 years old, can I push legal action?

I am currently 19 years old. I am told when I
was 4 years old I was behavioral, talking too
fast and too many topics in one sentence, and
would hit myself. I agree I was a bit troubled,
but I feel that my medicine while a bit helpful
has screwed my mind up in the long run and has
caused severe emotional trauma. I don’t know if
this is professional or not , but I feel taken
advantage of, I had no say in this and was too
young to understand. I want to take legal
action on this. It was a Creston ,Iowa children
My parents okayed it , but they never tried
hard enough to raise me right and my behavior
became worse. I believe theoretically I may
have never needed the medicine in the first
place and that in time it would have gone away.
But puting me on psych medicine that messes
with brain chemistry on a five year old
currently developing is unprofessional and lead
to screwing me up. These medications could have
killed me. I talk to this with my mother and
she says I don’t know anything because I wasn’t
there, but when anyone close to me agrees, even
family members, she still says that same thing,
they don’t know anything because they weren’t
I just wanted here to admit she messed up, but
she refused. Can I push legal action against
all involved? Who prescribed it, who suggested,
and my mother who accepted it?

Asked on October 30, 2019 under Malpractice Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can try to assert a malpractice case against the doctor who prescribed it, but to win such a case, you would need medical evidence (e.g. testimony from a psychiatrist who has examined you) that the medicine harmed you and also that it was negligent, or unreasonably careless, to have prescribed it for you based on what was known then (i.e. based on the state of medical knowledge, your symptoms at the time, etc.). That is, you'd have to be able to prove not just the harm done but that no reasonable doctor would have prescribed it at the time, and you need medical expert testimony to do that. 
Normally it would be too late (15 years) to bring this claim, but since you only recently (1 year) became an adult and so able to bring a claim on your own behalf, you should still be able to assert it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption