f I was mislead by a car salesman in order to buy a car, what can I do?

I recently bought a car with 72,000 miles on it from a dealership. One of my questions about the car was the timing belt. I know that a timing belt is a costly repair and when I asked the salesman about the timing belt he reassured me that it wasn’t an issue because Audi had started using a timing chain. I took my Audi into to an Audi dealership to get my oil changed and they informed me that I need to think about replacing the timing belt and that the manufacturer changed from a belt to a chain 3 years ago. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to establish that the salesperson for the car that you bought knew there were issues with the timing belt of the car that you are writing about which were not disclosed to you before you purchased the item. I suggest that you meet with the dealership's manager about the timing belt issue that you have written about. If you do not get the recourse you want, your option is to get an estimate for the repair of the timing belt and sue the dealership in small claims court for the costs of such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.