Can I sue a telecom company if I used their servicebut after cancellation I was not given a full refund?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a telecom company if I used their servicebut after cancellation I was not given a full refund?

I have bought a calling card for calling overseas from US from a telecom company in internet and used it. While purchasing, I saw the conditions listed in the website and it said if my usage is less than X minutes within 30 days, I can cancel the service and the amount will be refunded. I cancelled the service within 30 days and my usage is less than X minutes. But, I did not receive the full refund. Please advise whether I can sue the telecom company?

Asked on August 27, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Contracts, service agreements, etc. are enforceable as per their terms. If you complied with all the terms for a refund, yoiu should be refunded. The first thing you should do is to double check all the terms--for example, does it allow them to only refund the unused portion and keep a payment for th time you used? Or is there some other limitation which could account for you not getting a full refund. If there are grounds for them to keep some of the money under the agreement, they may do this.

Second, though, even if under the terms of the agreement you are owed more of a refund than you received, it may well not be worth pursuing. The only way to get the money you may be owed would be to sue--but you can't sue for more than the difference between what you received and the full amount of the refund. (E.g. you can't get "pain and suffering," punitive damages [most likely; punitive damages are only rarely awarded] or any other recovery beyond the actual amount of extra money you claim they owe you.) Thus, bringing a lawsuit could easily cost you more than you could recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption