What to do if the true condition of a used car that I bought was misrepresented to me by the dealer?

I bought a used car from a dealer who said that the squeaking is the belt other than that it is a good running car. I have had the car for about 2 weeks. I bought the belt and a new pulley. It did not stop the problem. I then took it back and they said they would look at it. The next day they said they found the problem and replaced the censer, a gasket. However, they said I owed them another $150 and I could not have the car until I pay for it. They did not have the list of items that they supposedly replaced. I asked for my money back and they said no. I asked for a payment plan, again the answer was no. Not sure what to do now. I do not have money to pay it and I do not have a car.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to immediately report them to the police, go and file a consumer with the state attorney general and if those steps do not stop this problem and resolve it for you, review your paperwork to see if you purchased it as is or if your state has a road worthy minimum when a used motor vehicle is purchased through a dealership and not a private sale. If you cannot resolve it through those agencies, consider a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.