To whom am I legally responsible to pay rent?

UPDATED: May 26, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

To whom am I legally responsible to pay rent?

I rent a home from an elderly man. One son has taken over the family Trust; I do

not know how. I do know that he was not the trustee before.and he cares and lives with the father who is the owner of the property. Both brothers are asking me for rent on behalf of their father.

Asked on May 26, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the property is owned by the trust, making the check out to the trust and mail it to the same address you have mailed it in the past: let them sort out what they do with the money after receiving it (i.e. who controls or uses it). But when property is owned by a trust, any rent goes to the trust, to the trustee; the trustee is simply a manager for the trust. It's like if you buy a car from a large dealership: you pay the dealership and do not write the check out to the salesman or assistant manager with whom you worked. So pay the trust, which is the property owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption