What recourse do I have regarding consumer fraud?

I bought a new $3500 zero turn mower from a home improvement chain. After delivery, I noticed the run meter had 68 hours on it. I then tried to register and they said that the item was already registered. Manuals were also copies and not original.

Asked on February 23, 2013 under General Practice, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue the seller for fraud (lying about material, or important, facts) and also breach of contract (not providing what it was agreed it would provide). You can seek to recovery the money you paid; in consumer fraud cases, you can also get some additional compensation or recovery, such as (possibly) court costs and legal fees.

2) If you believe that this was done with criminal intent, you could also report the matter to the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.