What to do if I’m 1 of 3 children and both of my parents have passed but my brother lives in the family home and he refuses to share or leave?

If no Will is found, how do I get my part of the estate?

Asked on November 7, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If no Will is found then the property will pass via the state intestacy statute (dying with out a Will is dying ("intestate"). One of you needs to be appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate. It is my understanding that under Arkansas intestate succession laws you and your siblings would share equally. That means that you have equal rights to the home and staying there.  Should you wish to sell it and he does not then speak with an attorney about an action for partition once the deed is transferred. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.