Must life insurance proceeds be used to pay the debts of the deceased?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must life insurance proceeds be used to pay the debts of the deceased?

My mom passed with her house on a reverse mortgage, we are surrendering the house to the bank. She left many credit card and medical bills. We collected her life insurance policy. Are we obligated to use that money to pay her bills or is it intended for the beneficiaries? Her few possessions in the house are worth less than $1000. Her car is over 20 years old and has little value. I want to sign the car over to my brother so he has something to drive.

Asked on November 6, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If the life insurance policy had designated beneficiaries - you and your siblings - then it passed to you automatically at the time of her death and no, you do not have to use it to pay off debt.  If it did not have a designated beneficiary then it went in to the estate and then it would have to be used.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption