What to do if I contracted a plumbing service to replace a gas line in my back yard that had a gas leak but it wasn’t done properly?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I contracted a plumbing service to replace a gas line in my back yard that had a gas leak but it wasn’t done properly?

The gas company had to shut off my gas until this was fixed. The plumber assured me that the job had been completed and to go ahead and schedule an appointment with the gas to company to have the service turned back on. The gas company technician inspected the work, the new gas line that had been installed had not been connected to the gas meter and the gas could not be turned on. I had already signed a contract and paid the plumber. The plumber did return to fix the problem, but my home still had no gas as a result of the plumber’s mistake. I stopped payment on the check I had written to the plumber, can I legally do this?

Asked on March 17, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


Mark Lee / Mark R. Lee, Law Offices of

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Keep a record of the date and time of any calls you made to address the problem with the plumber.  You should send him a certified letter notifying him you stopped payment, and offer him a chance to fix the work.  You can deduct a reasonable amount for the time you do not have gas during the delay.  After a reasonable period of time, you can also hire another plumber to fix the problem, and deduct what you had to pay him.  You cannot simply refuse to pay for the work that the 1st plumber did which was not defective.  Make sure you offer to pay him for the contract value minus any money you pay to get it fixed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption