What to do if I am an American engaged to a Mexican who was voluntary deported 6 months ago?

He is in Mexico and I am in the US. We want to marry but I was wondering what is best – to marry in the US with a fiancee visa or just marry in Mexico? I would like to know the fastest process for a green card for him. He has a clean record; no problems in the US the 12 years that he was here. What can I do?

Asked on February 24, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What are the conditions of the voluntary departure?  How long must he stay in Mexico before he can apply for a visa?  Until he has satisfied the conditions of the voluntary departure order, he will not be able to come to the US even if he is married to a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.