Do I have to pay my company back?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay my company back?

I quit my job back about 4 months ago. When I quit they provided me with my last week’s pay and all my vacation time. A week later, I received another pay check. This second pay check I received because my direct deposit was not cancelled and my auto check was sent out. I, being fair, told my now ex-director who informed the HR rep. They requested the money back and got all but $200. I had $200 taken out of my paycheck and sent to my savings, not my checking. Well now they have sent me a letter stating that I need to return the $200 within the next 4 months. Do I need to pay the money? It was there mistake for paying me twice.

Asked on October 1, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The law disfavors "unjust enrichment". This means that your former employer is entitled to be repaid for all monies mistakenly paid to you. Think about it, if you had neen accidentally shorted, you would be entitled to be paid for the shortfall. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption