What are my options if I was in a car accident in which I hit a drunken 20 year old pedestrian who was in the road?

He died and was seen running at cars in a 30 minute span before I happened to hit him. His body left damages that I cannot cover, and I am suffering from PTSD. I am a 20 year old male who can’t focus on anything; its affecting my work and school. Am I able to be compensated for damage to my car and for my pain and suffering? I did absolutely nothing wrong that night, yet my whole world has been flipped upside down.

Asked on October 6, 2013 under Accident Law, California


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may bring a cause of action against the pedestrian for negligence and then attempt to prove damages.  The estate of the deceased will likely bring an action against you for wrongful death.  While you should have auto insurance which provides coverage, it's unlikely that the deceased will have assets to satisfy your claims should you prevail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.