How to help my husband from being charge of domestic violence?

My husband got arrested for domestic violence toward me. There is a protective order, so I am not allowed to contact him. don’t want my husband to be in jail and to have bad records that will affect his future/employment while we have a baby boy. Is there any way to drop charges, avoid jail time and bad record on him? If not, how to make the punishment as light as possibleno serious impact to his future? How serious is the anger management program affecting his future/ career? How could I help him without both of us getting into troubles? Can I absent court.

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At some point, if your husband winds up being charged criminally for domestic assault, the prosecutor or a victim's advocate will contact you to discuss the case and your recommendations about sentencing and such. At this point, you can convey your desires to drop the charges or particular sentencing recommendations to the prosecutor. Be mindful that the prosecutor has the final say in what disposition to impose upon your husband, but they should take your recommendations into consideration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.