how do i find out how a case is progressing our attorney does not keep us very well informed and when he does call just says busy but working

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are unhappy with your attorney-client communication arrange to have a sit down with your attorney and voice your concerns to make him aware of the problem.  A little prod such as this is probably all it will take to resolve the situation. 

If, however, you are dissatisfied with his response, replace him with more communicative, and possibly more competent, counsel.  You don't want to jeopardize your legal interests.


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you should write him a very polite letter, asking some carefully thought-out, specific questions about the case.  Clean it up, print it out, sign it, put it in the mail.

For a lot of people, sometimes things have to show up in black and white to register properly.  That includes lawyers.  But letters work well for attorneys, who routinely keep almost every single piece of paper, and most certainly any letter, that they get on a case.  There are some lawyers, unfortunately, who do blow off phone calls, but very, very few who will treat a letter the same way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.