How do I file for a divorce in a town/county/state that I’m not currently living in?

I got married to a guy 9 1/2 years ago strictly because he said he needed a

Asked on May 15, 2017 under Family Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A common misonception is that a divorce must be filed in the state in which the marriage occurred. Actually, it can be filed in the state (county, town) in which either spouse has leagl residency. Accordingly, as long a you meet the requirements of your state as to establishing residency (typically around 6 months), then you can file where you live.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.