I am in the divorce process and my wife is receiving a settlement for 700k. Am I entitled to half?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am in the divorce process and my wife is receiving a settlement for 700k. Am I entitled to half?

Wife sued former employer for firing
her shortly after returning from a
FMLA. They settled and she is receiving
money next month. We just began trial
and go back to court May 19, 2017.
Neither of us has an attorney. The most
up to date info I have says she will be
awarded approximately 700k.

Asked on May 14, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your rights remain the same as if you were in a stable marriage unless there is a legal separation agreement in effect to the contrary. If the settlement is to compensate for injuries, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, or medical bills that had no impac on the "marital estate", the settlement is deemed separate property and should be fully awarded to the injured spouse. That having been said, in some states, courts have held that a personal injury settlement is marital property in the following situations: if there was a commingling assets by accepting the entire settlement in 1 check that is made payable to both parties; compensation for lost wages; and medical bills that have an impact on the marital estate.  At this point, you should consult directly with a local personal injury attorney. After revieweing the details of the case they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption