How canI obtain a marraige license if the personI would like to marry is not aUS citizen?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It depends on where you are trying to get married, but in most places, it is not a requirement that both parties be US citizens.  There may be a requirement that they are lawfully present in the US or resident of the particular state, but you can inquire with different places.  Such places as Las Vegas will marry people who are just on vacation in the US as well so that might be an option for you if you cannot find anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.