How can I get my name removed from a mortgage loan?

My ex was supposed to refinance within 3 years it’s been almost 4.

Asked on September 21, 2015 under Family Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You cannot remove your name without paying of the loan or you ex refinancing it in his name only the lender is not a party to your divorce and is not bound by any orders or setlements in it, and so is entitled to have the loan paid or refinanced. If your ex, however, is not honoring his obligations, you can bring a legal action against him for a court order requiring him to refinance. Speak with a family ordivorce law attorney about enforcing your rights under your divorce decree or settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.