What legal actions can be taken if I have an uncle that is posting some false/confidential information about my father online in articles and such?

He did this without the consent or approval of my dad. What they are posting is causing people to discriminate against us. Uncle refuses to take it down because his company is making money off of it. What can I do to stop them?

Asked on July 25, 2015 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the information is about your father, you can't do anything--you have no protectible legal interest(s), since the information is not about you. However, if the information consists of false factual statements about your father (not opinions: anyone is entitled to speak/publish/post/etc. their opinions, no matter how negative) which damages his reputation, then your father may be able to bring a lawsuit for defamation, seeking monetary compensation and/or a court order (injunction) that the uncle stop doing this. If your father is interested in exploring this option, he should speak with a personal injury attorney; many provide a free initial consultation, and you may inquire into this before making an appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.