What can I do ifI was fired without just cause?

I live in the state of MO but am employed by a company in FL. I have been an “employee status” since 12/06. I received a notice, due to the economy, that my services are no longer needed. I have been considered one of the “top” employees, reliable, following guidelines. I called to talk to director of operations but she did not return my call. For 4 years I have been asked multiple times to work overtime hours on the weekend and did without overtime compensation. One thought was I was at the “max pay”. Also, recent frequent doctor bills, causing increase premiums? What legal ground do I have?

Asked on September 17, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you are what is known as an "at will" employee then there may be nothing other than filing for unemployment.  If you were not discriminated upon -what are the MD visits for? - or fired based upon any illegal ground - and those you state here do not seem so - then termination is probably not actionable.  I would write to your director of operations and ask for a Letter of Recommendation before you file.  If you have an employment contract and you were not terminated according to those terms then maybe you have an issue to bring to an attorney.  But other than that it is just an unfortunate event in these terrible times.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.