does the insurance of the registered owner of the vehicle pay for damages

a Massachusetts 19 year old using his mothers vehicle crashes into a telephone pole and boat yard next to the road and damages my boat being stored at the boatyard. My boat is not insured. Am I correct for assuming the mother’s vehicle insurance picks up the damage since her son crashed her car. He was also arrested for OUI.

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the son was on the mother's insurance policy, he was an authorized driver and the mother's insurance policy will pay for the damage (cost of repairs) to your boat.
If the son was NOT on the mother's insurance policy, he was not an authorized driver and the mother's insurance carrier will deny liability.  If that occurs, your only recourse is to sue the mother and son for negligence.  The mother is liable because she is the registered owner of the vehicle.  The son is liable because he was the driver.  You would file one lawsuit naming both the mother and son as defendants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.