Divorce with Foreclosure

A few years ago my wife and I got divorced. She moved out of the house we owned together and I stayed for another year or so. No payment has been made on the property in 4 years and the and the bank started foreclosure but a year ago sent a

Asked on September 13, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Seems odd that the matter would be disconstinued just like that.  A "Praecipe to Discontinue" is a fancy way of telling the clerk of the court in PA is directed to discontinue the action.  Please get a lawyer. Do not move back in just yet.  Yes, your ex has the same rights as you do with the house subject to what you agreed to in the divorce settlement.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.