What is the cheapest and easiest way to divorce if you have already been separated for 10 years custody and child support has already been settled in court?

My so-called husband and I have been separated for 10 years. We have nothing to battle over. We are both in other relationships and ready to move on but money is a issue. Basically we just need the legal documentation.

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ohio allows what is known as an Uncontested Divorce on No-Fault grounds which allows one of the parties to file based upon living separate and apart for one year, without cohabitation.  You seem to fit this bill.  Maybe you would qualify for legal aid or legal services in your area?  Some bar associations have pro bono (free) services as well.  Check with them. The paperwork should be relatively straight forward and uncomplicated should you both agree on everything and there is no issue as to custody and support.  One party can initiate the suit, the other consent to service and waive answering the suit and then you are off and running.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.