How do assets get divided in a divorce settlement if one party is not a legalUS citizen?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do assets get divided in a divorce settlement if one party is not a legalUS citizen?

Is my husband entitled to 1/2 my assets if he has not gotten his permanent residency status yet? If he is granted permanent status, can he take 1/2 of my assets?

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you are getting divorced in the State of New Jersey as residents thereof (and he can have temporary resident status under the immigration law) then your assets will be divided pursuant to New Jersey law, which is known as Equitable Distribution. "Equitable" does not necessarily mean "equal" so the 50/50 split you are referring to may not apply. The court looks at your property and first divides it in to "marital" and "separate."  Separate property that has remained separate during the marriage is yours and not subject to distribution.  "Marital" assets - as well as marital debts - are divided equitably by various factors.  It is best to obtain legal counsel with all this.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption