Car Insurance Judement

My son had a car accident and a $6,000 judgement was placed on him and his licence was suspended.If he files bankruptcy will it clear his accident judgement.He only works 32 hr.wk. and supports his my other son who is a disabled veteran.The car accident happened 4-5 yrs. ago when he was just 18yrs. old. Thanks, a concerned Mother

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Accident Law, Tennessee


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending on whether he files chapter 13 or 7 and the specifics surrounding his financial situation the judgment could be eliminated as well with a bankruptcy. However this is an issue that requires reviewing a persons financial situation to determine eligibility and what will be erased.

I advise our son to call a local bankruptcy attorney, speak to them and review the entire situation. They will be able to give an answer as to what gets wiped clean. At that point your son can than make a decision. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.