Can my out of state immigration lawyer apply for my work permit?

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes. An immigration lawyer may be licensed in any state and practice immigration law. It is federal law. Thus, as long as they are licensed in a state, they may process immigration in other states as well. Best of Luck.

SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A lawyer admitted in any jurisdiction in the US is authorized to practice immigration law since it is federal practice.  But, of course, it has to be an attorney that is familiar with the practices of immigration so that you are getting the benefit of a knowledgeable attorney in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.