Can my grandmother sue someone that she lent money to almost 6 years ago?

My grandmother lent someone she knew $12,000 with an agreement that the person borrowing the money would pay it back within 3 months. The individual that borrowed the money has paid back less than $2,000 and is not making payments of between $5 and $20 a month. My grandmother needs to receive her money back and is wondering if she has grounds to file a lawsuit against the individual who borrowed the money for the remainder of the money owed.

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


Jonathan Pollard / Pollard LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is a tough one.  Hopefully, there is actually a written agreement.  Absent a written agreement, it basically becomes a case of your grandmother's word against the word of the borrower.  Without a written agreement, I doubt you have a case.

If you actually have a written contract, then you have a better shot, but will still face various hurdles.  Breach of contract claims have a 5 year statute of limitations in Florida, so there is a significant chance that the lawsuit is already time-barred.  Beyond that, the cost of filing fees and attorney's fees might make it financially unattractive for you to pursue this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.