Can I get my license in a different state if it is revoked for a civil suit judgment?

My driver’s license is suspended indefinitely due to a 20 year old civil suit judgment. If I moved to another state could I get a driver’s license in that state?

Asked on June 16, 2016 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Virtually all states share information about license revocations/suspensions. This is done pursuant to the "Interstate Driver's License Compact". Accordingly, if you apply for a license in another state, the revocation in the first state will turn up due to the sharing of information via the centralized national database. Here is a link to a site that will further explain:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.