CanI do anything about my oldemployer using my pictures for advertisingsince I am no longer employed there?

My old job used pictures of me while I was employed there for advertisement which I did not mind at the time since I was employed there but I still never signed a contract or any legal agreement stating that they are allowed to use my photos. Well anyway I have not been an employee at that job for 6 months now and they are still using my photos which to me does not seem right because they should have to pay me to use my face or not be able to use it. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


Michael Freilich / Freilich Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

these cases first look to contract law--if there is an employment manual, does it discuss this? did you give your employer permission? if you are a "private" person you probably have a claim for commercial use of your image. Each state tends to differ on this. Depnding upon your state, damages are usually difficult to provve such that some  attorneys would not handle on a contingingency basis. So if you goal is to make money, it may be a difficult road. If your goal is to stop the use of the picture, you can probably find an attorney to handle this on a flat fee or hourly basis. in the process you may be able to have the ex-employer pay your attorneys' fees and few dollars for your trouble

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.