Do I have any recourse if I was denied a personal day off for the anniversary of my daughter’s death?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse if I was denied a personal day off for the anniversary of my daughter’s death?

I asked for a personal day on a Friday the 5th. before a long weekend. I am a teacher and I know they frown on this. However, I cannot control that my daughter died on the 5th 4 years ago. As this was not tragic enough, it is her sister’s

birthday. New Link Destination
celebrate her and her sister’s life, just the 2 of us go off on our own for a few days, to grieve and to celebrate, to simply be. I explained all this, assuming there would be compassion but was denied. I am at a loss as I never expected this. It is my first year at a new school, which means they do not need a reason not to renew my contract. I imagine I have no rights, I guess I just wanted someone to know how heartless a school of all things can be.

Asked on September 29, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I feel for your situation but unless such an action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, you have no recourse here. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will" which means that an employer can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionalbe discrimination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption