Can I ask my wife to leave our home for a separation?

I owned my house solely for 2 1/2 years prior to getting married to her. She has also separated herself from the house and me twice prior.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Until you have a formal separation agreemnt or other court order that addresses just which spouse as the right to possession and control of the premises, you cannot ask your wife to leave the home (unless of course she agress to).

The fact is that no matter whose name is on the deed, at this point the house is considered to be the "marital residence" and accordingly both parties have equal rights to possession. Once a final divorce decree is issued the issue will be settled. And since it's your separate property the house should be awarded to you.

At this point you need to speak to directly to a divorce attorney in your area. They can best explain your rights and remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.