If my employer has me sign a contractor agreement but fires me 2 weeks later, can I sue?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer has me sign a contractor agreement but fires me 2 weeks later, can I sue?

I was coerced into signing a contract with my employer of almost a year that said I was a contractor. My employer then fired me after 2 weeks. I was never a W2 employee but was clasified as an employee by the state. I filed for UI benefits and am currently sending in a brief. My supervisor and the superintendant testified under oath that the contract was drawn up for the intention of a job description and a way to keep me more accountable. I was terminated for doing what I was contracted to do in a sense. Is this a breach, fraud or something else?

Asked on November 3, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

What did the contract say? That's where you can find the answer to your question. If it guaranteed you work for a specified period of time (e.g. 6 months) and they fired you in violation of it, you could sue them for "breach of contract" to enforce the contract's terms and get what you are entitled to under it. But if it did not guaranty you a certain amount or length of employment, then under "employment at will," which is the law of this nation except when and to the extent changed by a written contract, you could be terminated at any time. And since you could be legally terminated at any time, you cannot sue if you are terminated--you cannot sue people for doing what they had a legal right to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption