Can an employer post an employee’s personal cell phone in the company directory?

Sure the company can include cell phones which the company provides to be listed but what about an employee’s personal cell phone? Wouldn’t they need special permission first?

Asked on November 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A cell phone number is not protected information such as a SSN, financial or other confidential information are. Accordingly, it can be published by a company or any other entity or person who has it. Additionally, a company can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). So unless publishing your cell number in the company directory violates the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, it is legal.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, they don't need special permisson for a personal cell phone:
1) There is nothing protected or confidential about phone numbers: they are not like social security numbers or bank account information. Anyone who knows a cell number can post it or publicize it.
2) They could also make it a term or condition of employment--i.e. a work requirement--that employee phone numbers be posted and so get your permission (if they had needed it), unless you chose to quit rather than have your number be in the directory.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.