If my father has a federal tax lien on his name, can he sign property over to me and, if so, what documents do we need?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father has a federal tax lien on his name, can he sign property over to me and, if so, what documents do we need?

Father has a federal tax Llen on his name; was told they don’t apply it to property. He aslo owes back real estate taxes that I’m willing to pay for ownership.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the lien has not appeared on his home, have him quit claim the property to you. This is going to be the best solution for you. However, you may wish to go over the real estate taxes owed and the federal taxes to ensure no lien has been placed on the home and that no other existing mortgage is owed. If he transfers property to you as a quite claim, it may accelerate any exisiting mortgage and make it due in whole immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption