After being terminated from job, can I still go to a doctor to get med examination of an injury obtained while employed. Workmanscomp claim?

While working I developed a discomfort in the palm of my left hand. Gradually , the pain increased. Did not file a claim with company,of fear of being fired. Got terminated anyway, different reason, but now I have difficulty getting a good job, since I can not use my hand to the fullest. Need to see a doctor, but have no knowledge about what my rights are.Do I need to go to doctor to get evaluation and who and how would this to be considered a workmanscomp case? Please advise, need to do something. Thank you

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Personal Injury, Texas


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is a one year statute of limitations on worker's comp cases from the time the injury occurred.  If you believe your injury occurred at work, contact your former employer if it's been less than a year, and let them know you'd like to file a workers' comp claim.  They will likely send you forms to fill out and then you should hear from their workers' comp insurance carrier.  They should give you instructions on how to proceed with your claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.