Can my husband throw me out?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband throw me out?

We have been married
12 years/ together
15.he threw me out
with nowhere to live.
Our residence is in
his parents home. We
have our own living
space. He went through
my belongings and took
keys bank cards,
made me leave,
wouldn’t allow me to
come back in . He
wasn’t required to let
me baco in

Asked on January 25, 2017 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless and until a final decree of divorce is awarded or a formal separation agreement is filed that addresses who has the rights to possession, the house remains the "joint marital residence", no matter whose name the title/deed is in. What this means is that the both you and your husband have the continuing right to live there. He has no legal right to put you out and if he attempts todo so, you can take legal action against. At this point, you should speak directly with a local divorce attorney for further advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption