What to do if a woman that I was working for paid me with checks that were stolen from her ex-husband and I was arrested for forgery as a result?

She paid me 3 times with checks from the same account. I went to the bank and had no problem cashing the first couple. When I went last week to cash the last one, I got arrested and charged with forgery but I did not do no such thing. Can I sue the police or bank for false arrest?

Asked on October 4, 2013 under Criminal Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suugest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney that does civil litigation. Based upon what you have written about it seems as though you may have the basis for a civil action against the woman who gave you the checks that you were arrested for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.