What steps need to be taken to get rid of my previous tenant’s property?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps need to be taken to get rid of my previous tenant’s property?

I have had a tenant with no legal lease/contract written living with me for the past few months. Just over a week ago he was sent to jail. I no longer want him living me and plan on notifying him by mail that he is no longer welcome to live in my house. His room is still full of his things and my question is what steps need to be taken to get rid of his property? I’m assuming there is a waiting period but without having made a legal agreement I’m not sure what needs to be done exactly.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please seek help from an attorney in your area.  You yourself have charachterized this person as a "tenant" and it does not matter if there is a formal or written lease agreement in place.  And it may be beter for you that he is a considered a month to month tenant. You need to properly evict the tenant in order to be able to even touch his things - or rather the Sheriff once an order of eviction is obtained.  You need to do this in the proper manner so it does not backfire on you. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption