a friend asked me to help with his backyard and is suing me because he doesnt like the way his artifical grass turned out..

A work friend asked me to do his back yard to save him money… he asked me what I thought it would cost and I gave him a rough estimate of materials and possible labor costs. I did the job … which was 11 yards on concrete and some artificial grass… he ended up not liking how it turned out and is suing me for the cost to fix it which is 6900… claiming I worked without a license… but never acted as so,… I thought I was a friend helping a friend?

Asked on October 27, 2017 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Did you charge him *anything* in excess of exactly what the material costs would have been? From your question, it appears as if you did ("gave him a rough estimate of materials and possible labor costs"). That is critical.
If you did not charge him anything beyond materials, then you were helping a friend and not working professionally; he would likely not be able to sue simply because he is not 100% happy with a friend's free, voluntary help.
But if you did charge anything beyond the materials cost, you were working as contcactor for pay. Not only would he have more grounds to sue for unsatisfactory work--if you work as a professional, you are held to a professional's standards--but also could face liability for being an unlicensed contractor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.