What to do ifmy neighbors were in a domestic dispute and I was on the police report as a witness but now the husband is trying to contact me?

When the dispute happened, my neighbor’s husband, who had moved out of their apartment, came over unannounced and started an argument with her. The fight became physical. She ran to my apartment to escape him. He began bounding on my door and screaming, so I called the police. She pressed charges and filed a restraining order (resulting in 3rd degree domestic assault charge). Quite to my dismay, I saw him several times in my building when he was moving some belongs out. Now he is calling me. I felt very threatened by him. Do I have any grounds for a PO myself?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you feel threatened by your neighbor's husband post an incident involving a domestic abuse situation with him and her and he is now contacting you, I suggest that you contact law enforcement about the situation and make a police report. You are a witness to the incident that you have written about between the husband and the wife, and the unwanted contact he is seeking with you could be deemed improper with respect to the criminal charges against him that are pending.

You might also consider consulting with a family law attorney to file a petition for a restraining order against the husband if you are that threatened by him.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.